Tuesday 3 July 2018

Nibbling the White Line

Thanks to CM & the Clan-facebook
I wasn't sure if I should run at Monkton in the vets mile track race. I had a number for the Bridges of Tyne 5m tonight which I had transferred from Miss L. who had entered previously but couldn't make it. However, an email from the organiser yesterday sealed the deal when he said I hadn't got in to the road race. I was 4 days late with the transfer, so it was a no-go.  Total bo%£cks.
Anyway, that left me free to bury myself in a 100% effort in order to secure a sub 5:30 on the track. Easy target? I had a big extended family day out on Saturday and my previous weeks mileage was just steady miles. No speedwork whatsoever.   Why should beating a PB by easy? I think not.
In the process of getting to the track, I misplaced my phone. I hunted around the car when I arrived at the track. Time was getting on, however, so I locked up and trooped along to the little clubhouse of Jarrow & Hebburn, Steve Crams old club.
I joined the queue and signed up for the event.
There was quite a good turnout and I found out I was in the 5th heat of 6 races. I thought there was a good chance of running in a group, which might help with pacing. I donned my Nikes and did some  stretching. Although it was dry and warm, there was a decent breeze on the back straight and I wasn't at all sure it was a fast night. No matter how many times I rooted through my bag, though, there was still no sign of the phone. A wee jog back to the car. Nope.
It was soon time to line up and I was 3rd from the inside. There were around 10 in the race and we were under starters and ...bang...we were off.  I tucked in behind Mr G with 3 others ahead. We were round lap 1 in 73 seconds (or so the bloke at the line shouted). On the back straight the 3 in front were moving away and Carla M. from N Shields moved up just as I was thinking about going across the gap, so I moved onto her shoulder. She was moving well but I wasn't sure about the pace. It was fast, but I was reluctant to move to the front of the group and sat there for 2 more laps. With 200 to go, I moved out and went. I could feel someone behind me and knew I wasn't alone, but ploughed on to the line. The fact that I could attempt a sprint meant I hadn't run this as well as I might.
The result was 5:44. How could I have lost 14 seconds from my run a fortnight ago?
But we weren't quite finished...as I began to jog on, I was called back by an official and politely read the riot act about 'nibbling' the inner edge of the white line of the track. Next time a DQ was on the cards. I nodded. Disappointed with the time, I was probably more disappointed with my lack of drive in letting someone else do all the work. Resolving to put in the graft next time, I said my goodbyes to Mr G and took off home.
I caught sight of the lads road training group coming back from the Steads as I got back into 'Peth. Maybe I would have been better doing a long training session?!
The phone was in the toilet. Plonker.
Giving myself a hard time for my poor track run, I put my trainers back on and promptly knocked out a 10 miler round the lanes. Must try harder, Mr Mac. Slacker.

  

No comments: