Monday 7 October 2019

Rained off

My plans to compete in the Tour De Trossachs this weekend were dashed by the rain. But my eagerness got me as far as Dunbar at 8:30am before I pulled the car into a layby to check with the organiser whether it was on. She apologised but said the course was flooded. She reckons this is her last year of organising the renowned event. Lets hope someone in the Glasgow Ivy (or is it Nightingale) picks up the cudgels for next year.  I turned the car round and drove back down the water swept A1 and spent the rest of the day doing very little except watching the rain come down and being in awe of Callum Hawkin's run at Doha. Inspired, I admit that I did nip out just after lunch for 6 miles, but the rain continued and I got back soaked.
However, the weekend wasn't a complete washout. The clan and I got ourselves to Blyth Links on the Saturday morning for the Parkrun. It's frequently windy being on the sea front (well at least the once or twice I've ran it). However, it was unusually calm and around 150 of us banged around the two and a half lapper in what was a break in this weekends wetfest. I tracked the dark destroyer for the final lap but couldn't reel her in and settled for an acceptable 20:00 (14th) for 5km. Thats 77% age adjusted so still looking for about 3% or 4% performance. Certainly better than the 21 minute that was Sunderland back in July. I managed to pick up a couple of bites somehow - sand flies I think.
I ground out another 30 mile training week, so will attempt to increase it to 40 something this week. With the bikes largely being put away for the oncoming winter, I am concentrating on Manor Water next Saturday with perhaps Brampton Carlisle in November. Not sure,  but its nice to be in position to consider entering a few races again, even if I'm well off my old pace.  This time I'll try to get there in good time rather than the late start I was forced to endure back in 2008.  It'll be interesting if I can get anywhere close to the 1:24 I did back then. 
The Condor should be back next week from the bike framebuilders in Leeds where I dropped it off for a respray last month. I have some new bits to put on it for next year. It'll be like riding a new bike at half the cost.

No comments: