Saturday 10 July 2021

All Change (Part 1)

Having entered a clutch of races in July and one in August, I have celebrated by losing 3 kilograms and changing my club. Having been at Dundee Hawkhill as second claim member since 2005, I failed to pay the increased subs on time and after a couple of short emails, I found myself having left the club. I don’t read my emails too often and failed to heed the requests. Dohh. Anyway,  I don’t know too many folk there anymore and a change is as good as a rest. Soo, having had such a good time on the trails of Fife earlier this year, I was accepted into the ranks of the psycho sqwerls (squirrels), and should be donning the baby blue vests of the Falkland Trailrunners soon. I got onto their Strava page early and was later accepted to their facebook page after stumping up a very reasonable twelve peanuts and an acorn.

The Sunderland 5k is not until the 22nd of July and with a little bit of time, I thought I would enter the Middlesborough 5000 metres on the 10th,  hoping for a 'sub twenty', I am in Heat A at 5.40pm. I have checked out the opposition and think I should be well up. 

The carbohydrate and incahol intake has been slashed and I am working daily on fortifying my core with a series of exercises that threaten to expunge the remaining shag pile on the bedroom carpet. I'm aiming for the rippled washboard effect, that Roman centurion look. I have also been down the track 3 times over 3 weeks and while this hardly represents a commitment of an Olympian, it does, at least provide a foundation for some enhanced running.  The bike has been parked up for 3 weeks now as my mileage creeps up to fifty a week. Not much speed I grant you, but I need to be sensible. 

Today I need to get round each km in less than 4 minutes to dip under the 20 minute mark. I have changed my garmin from miles to km's. Not having a race since March 2020, I am very light on recent experience and admit to feeling a little apprehensive. I added to my recent battery of commitment by buying a pair of Brooks Glycerin last week and they seem just the job. I won’t bother with my spikes; too much potential for achilles damage. 

When I was out earlier this week pounding the lanes, I was in a reflective mood. Why am I putting myself through the mill again? There’s nought wrong with running for pleasure, surely? Well, If I can stay fit, I reasoned with myself that I should try and be the best I can. After all, I might, one day, not be able to race at all. That day is getting nearer each year. I am also inspired by one of my training buddies who has reached the No. 1 ranking in his age group and the kids, who continue to run well, although that said, two of the trio are laid up with ankle trouble.  I have had an easy morning with a short 2 mile run and some stretching followed by coffee and leek soup at lunchtime. I always go well on soup. I’ve had a short nap and I reckon I’m as ready as I will ever be. Lets hope there’s not too much smog on Teesside and I manage to remember my club vest, safety pins and how to find my way to the finish line Wish me luck....

No comments: