Tuesday 29 March 2022

Deuchary Hill Canter 2022





I was up early, what with the clocks going back, and footered around before getting my race gear on and sauntering over Dunkeld Bridge to Birnam in the early morning sun. It was a terrific morning, the birds busy, the river gurgling, blah, blah. As I neared the race HQ, I noted the absence of any runners and thought I must be early. However, the wee group getting into their car stopped me and asked if I was running. I nodded. 'Well, the race starts in a couple of minutes, so you'd better get in the car'. I thought I was an hour early, but evidently not.


I was passed my number and pinned it on as I was whisked the 2 miles up to the start beside the Sawmill where the organiser had kindly held the start of the race up for me. What service, I mused. I thanked the assistants profusely and took my place at the back. There were around 60 lined up by the loch and Adrian gave his 'how not to get lost' pre-race instruction. We were soon off and running up through a mix of pine woods, open grassed track and some forest roads toward Deuchary Hill. It was pretty much all runnable, the gradient never too steep. 


Having buried myself at yesterday's Birnam race, I took it very canny and with camera-phone in hand, stopped and started all the way up to the Hill, going off course only once for around three or four hundred yards before a lone walker saw me and suggested I was off course. What a stroke of luck. I thought the runner behind me might have shouted, but apparently not. I could have been half way to Kindallachan before I realised my error. At the top of the hill the sun was splitting the sky, it was warm and I have rarely taken part in such an enjoyable and picturesque race. It could have been the clear blue sky and dry conditions, but I had to pinch myself at the views. I took a few more shots and the runner behind asked for a copy of the photos. 


After a short scramble to the top, I put away the camera, took a gel and proceeded to hammer down the descent which would its way down across the heather, grassy footpaths and gravel tracks in a figure of eight loop. Passing four on the way down I found myself behind HBT man. He said later that he didnt expect to see anyone behind him, and my arrival 2 miles from the end gave him the motivation to move up a gear. He pulled away from me comfortably and disappeared off into the distance, but I reflected that I had probably lost around 4 or 5 minutes going off course and messing about generally on the hill. I was pleased to see Mrs Mac before the finish and even had the temerity to wait to have a couple of staged pictures of myself before running off to the finish.  We made our way back to Birnam for soup and nibbles. 



Winner Kris Jones was only marginally in front of me, finishing in 1:17 for the 11 miles and 500m of ascent to my 1:55. I finished around 30th and hobbled my creaking carcass to the nearby Birnam Hotel bar for a mothers day half, which turned out to be a bit vinegary; so we reverted to the Atholl again. Top day out and one I'll do again.  

No comments: