Sunday 24 July 2022

Beetham Fair Race, Milnthorpe

 
We had a free weekend for a change and there were 2 races which looked interesting. Turnslack, located somewhere down Rochdale way and Beetham Fair Day located near Milnthorpe not far from Kendal. Turnslack was pre-entry. Looking at the reviews it looked to have a bit of everything in, including thick heathland, moor and boggy marsh. As we've been casting around for runnable fell races, this didn't quite fit the bill. We opted, instead, for Beetham and drove the 2 hours west, then south to arrive in good time at the village. With most of the obvious parking places taken, we parked in a lay-by just on the edge of the town. It was Speedy Joe and me. We were wearing our Morpeth vests and paid our £2.50 entry fee to get into the fair, then another £3.50 odd for the race at the tent.  There were around 100 at the start. The vicar approached me and after inquiring if we had come from Morpeth, he said 'welcome', but stopped short of blessing us. There were plenty runners from Buckden, Nidd Valley and Clayton and a smattering of others, but we felt like the out-of-towners on this one. We had a quick jog some way up the course to the first hill to see how things looked. It was a B category race, so not too steep anywhere and more of a trail race. As we gathered at 3.30, a women came up and asked if we were from Morpeth, then advised us her sister lived there. We knew her. The race started to the applause of the crowd and we galloped down the playing field and out through the village. 

Photo taken by Linda Dean

The runners soon became a little strung out and I lost sight of Speedy. However, 'the Rev' was beside me; well at least that's what it had on the back of his vest - presumably another vicar. There was about 2 or 3 runners who came and went as we jockeyed for positions. The cream limestone underfoot was slippy in places but not a problem and with a course that went in and came out of the woods a few times, the route was interesting and made for an interesting run. On the final wee hill, I nearly went wrong after having passed Nolan from Buckden. However, he let me go a bit and I realised I was wrong just as he shouted left, by which time he had nipped ahead. I made sure I caught him again, but by then we were on the descent and he stuck to me like a limpet as we passed a Helm Hill runner.  As we came out of the wood and onto the grass the long legged Buckden runner made off and at the finish I had capitulated to give him 12 seconds.  Finished in around 47 minutes. Speedy won her race in 42 minutes and picked up £15 first prize. The prize giving took forever to start and we were happy to get away back east. In retrospect, a very enjoyable race which I would recommend, perhaps combined with a trip to nearby Kendal or, if you are of limited imagination, one of the M6 services.   Milnthorpe was announced as the venue for the 2023 British cyclo-cross champs recently. Having pre-qualified for the 3 peaks cyclo-cross in September I am aiming to have a decent cyclo-cross season this year, so could find myself returning in January. I reckon I will be aiming to win the wooden spoon and thats if I even get in.  I think the masters champs are in Sussex or somewhere; Bit of a hike, but who knows.

No comments: