Thursday 27 October 2022

Herrington Park, Cyclo Cross (16th Oct)

Its been a busy few weeks back here in allymac towers. Speedy Joe has gone over to the dark side and got married and so folk have been a bit pre-occupied with all the arrangements and what not. As Anton the groom pointed out, the criteria for being selected as a bridesmaid was a sub 20min 5k! What with her new surname, I imagine that she'll have to re-invent herself! In the meantime, I have clocked up 40 running miles last week and also managed to shoe-horn in another full-on cardio session cyclo-cross a fortnight ago.  I inadvertently described the cardio workout at Herrington near Sunderland to my running companion earlier this week as a 'cardiac' session, and that's probably nearer the truth. There's two leagues in the north east here for cyclo-cross and this time it was the larger, moderately more expensive CXNE league event  that I signed up for.  

The start was seeded, and if you haven't paid the extra forty quid for a full licence, you don't get points and so are always destined to start at the back of the pack. Pathetic in a small minded way, really. There were around 50 over-50 men in the field, with the women setting off about a minute behind us. I had come down in the warm up and it took a good few laps before I began to become more confident with the various twists, turns and adverse cambers. I managed to stay upright throughout finishing around 38th or thereabouts. One of my shoes plates had got stuck in the pedals with a screw working loose, so I was pleased I hadn't crashed otherwise I would have struggled to get back up without taking off the shoe. Mrs Mac took a pile of photos so that was something. I have now stuck my name down for the Scottish Champs in Dundee in mid November. Its really just an excuse to get back up to Tayside to see the geese and enjoy the banter.  Its the local cross country this weekend and I wouldn't mind improving on my previous performance. I haven't done Lambton before, so it should be a good workout. 

No comments: