Sunday 20 June 2010

Windy Gyle Fell Race




The Windy Gyle Fell Race. I recall a chat in the supermarket with the organiser a while ago. As someone who runs better on trail rather than the steeper fells he suggested 'The Windy Gyle' , but until today I'd never managed to run it.

It turned out to be a 9 mile delight of rolling Cheviot Hills and wide grassy tracks. Coming down one hill on the dry peat was like running down a 300 metre trampoline with conditions as dry as my old auntie Aggie's sense of humour.


There was a good turnout of runners with plenty of Northumberland Fell Runners at the start. I suppose it is their home patch. We kicked off around 10:30a.m on a beautiful day for a run that took me across hills I'd never been on before.

There were sheep everywhere basking on the road and tracks, lying on the grass and generally not doing very much at all. I heard a rumour that in this part of the Cheviots the lambs are pretty nifty and like nothing better than a good sprint. It was difficult to believe until I saw the signs!


I had an easy first 4 miles stopping periodically to snap the stunning countryside. I ran with Chris Waugh (Morpeth:2nd M50), M50 winner Neil Cassidy (Tynedale) and Keith Murray of Teviotdale.

About halfway through I was still feeling quite fresh so decided to give it some welly and worked up a bit of a lather to eventually finish in 1:06.28 and 8th. Spent 15 minutes in the stream. No repeat of sore or tired legs compared to 2 weeks ago.

Sanderson beat teammate Jones (NFR) from 3rd Place Horsley. Karen Robertson (NFR) came out tops in the Ladies event.

No comments: