Wednesday 27 February 2019

eel be beck

Its been another quiet month as I take three steps forward and two steps back. The weather has been freakishly hot. Its not a good thing, no doubt an indicator of grimmer things to come.

I haven't taken full advantage of the bone dry and toasting conditions but managed 30 miles a fortnight ago and 20 miles last week before I pulled my calf. This latest set back was no doubt brought upon by the resumption of weight training. Ham string curls, leg and core work. The gym work was advocated by the physio who has pronounced me 'cured' from last years adductor tear. He doesn't want to see me again. In celebration, I have, like a muppet, entered the Cleveland Wheelers 20 miler time trial. It not a flat affair so I will just ride the road bike, rather than my TT bike. When I ride a bike I am very animated off and on the saddle constantly. I suspect riding the TT bike and holding a fixed position over 30 miles in Stirling last year was a contributory factor to my demise late last year.

Most of the posse have entered the Tom Scott 10 miler round Strathclyde Park at the end of March. Its only 12 quid so as I will be up there anyway as Als taxi, I might as well have a jog around. I tried the Newcastle Park run last Saturday and fell in with the other 837 runners who turned up on a calm but very mild morning. I finished in 22:20 and was happy enough given that the calf began to tighten at 3k. The dark destroyer was first lady home in 19min. I knew Linds (daughter number 2) and who we'll call 'the dark horse' was running the Southend park run on her hols and she landed in 21:37. With the youngster getting over a cold and nearly cracking the top 20 in the Scottish National XC, I have been relegated to 4th fastest in the group. Sure is heart warming when you're kids all beat you. However, as Arnie says 'ee'll be beck'.

No comments: