Sunday 20 May 2012

Borrowdale Trail Race



Spent the weekend over at the Lakes. Yesterday the young un' did a 1500m open water race in Derwentwater. It was pretty murky and even watching her made me feel cold. But it soon warmed up and, afterwards, I dug the bike out of the boot and cranked out 30 miles or so including up and down Whinlatter Pass from both sides. There was a sportive on and I had plenty of company coming toward me as I went out and then, turning near Buttermere, met some varied groups and riders on the return leg up front, some of whom I knew as I made my way back to Keswick in the sun.

I spent the rest of the day walking around Keswick, sampling coffee and mooching around and finished off with a top of the range pizza from Penrith as we camped out at the 5 Star Travelodge.

This morning, the sun made its second appearance and it was a proper warm day and so I was pleased to line up at the start of the Borrowdale Trail Race. Bit pricey, but Keswick was heavin this weekend as it was the Salomon Mountain Festival so not to be missed.  I registered for the 13k rather than the 21k race. I know; wimp.
We set off from Portinscale, the 21k lads leaving 15 minutes earlier than those doing the shorter distance. I spent the first half with Mrs Mac taking it easy toward the back with the new handy camera - good shots when stationary but not yet adequate on my customary and legendary on-the-move-shots. Well, legendary in my lunchtime anyway...by half way I think the rear half of the field had had enough of me and so, with the knee no worse (partly attributable to some compression socks that were pulled up over my dodgy knee), I moved on up the field and had a run in the last few miles. So good, it reminded me of the 'good times'. The views on a day like today were stunning.

A Portobello lad won the short event and he seemed pleased at the end. I knew I had confused him at the start as I darted off at high speed with him close behind only to pull-over after 200 yards to get shots of the field. Given my current form, or lack of it, I had no intention or capability of maintaining that sort of pace over the route. Carl Bell won the long event. Afterwards we had tea at a cafe and headed home. No obvious after-effects on the legs, well, not yet anyway; A thoroughly good weekend.

- PHOTOS UPLOADED NOW .---

No comments: