Monday 11 January 2010

Pilates: Look into my eyes..

The rapid thaw that set in yesterday was in some way symbolical. It heralded the start of the 2010 running year for me. Fair enough that after messing around most of the day I tentatively stuck my head out of the front door and clocked up the 2 slowest miles I've ever ran. It was barely a jog but the ankle complained only once at a corner. However, its not quite there yet but there's light at the end of the tunnel (or is that light a train coming the other way!)
Today as the demise of the snow continued I took up an invitation to a pilates class. The room for this is downstairs and there's a gym upstairs. It was interesting as I lay dry and warm on a mat moving various limbs in a tai-chi manner and only marginally slower than in my earlier run.
There was much instruction on breathing (which I consider myself an expert on having done it since I was a child). Its all about core work apparently. There was a hypnotic quality about the whole thing and I must admit it was different but quite enjoyable.
The instructor kept us posted on what to do and kept reminding the class that this was 'hard work'. I could only lie there looking at the panelled ceiling enviously listening to someone upstairs banging out 20 minutes on a treadmill and thinking 'hard work, hard work?-20 miles in the moors, a Monday night session or a 35 minute 10k; now that's hard work'. Maybe I need to get more in touch with my inner self. Or maybe I should just reach for the ibruprofen and get the trainers on.

No comments: