Monday 11 October 2010

Berwick is Bracing



What with one thing and another over the last few weeks, the 'me' time for the old sporting hobbies has had to take a back seat, so I was happy to get out for 20 miles on Saturday morning on the new bike and shoehorned in a full-on 45 minute sesh through the woods later in the day.
On the Sunday I nipped up to Berwick upon Tweed to see what was occurring at the Berwick Trail 10k, a new cancer charity run in memory of one of the Berwick Harriers.
It was a grey day and a cool very fresh breeze was coming off the sea as we tried to keep warm at Spital Point. I saw a few familiar faces warming up and there were any number of folk with dogs who presumably were going to walk it. A small gang of us started at 11a.m and we careered along the promenade with a side wind before climbing out of the bay up a steep gravel path, under a railway bridge and across some rolling fields making our way to Scremerston. I was sitting around 12th I think and there was initially a little group 10-15 seconds ahead but this soon split after the bridge leaving a string of lone runners to combat the wind as we headed along the road then down Cow Road and across more fields at the 4 mile mark.
I targeted a couple of guys well in front who seemed to be dropping off the pace and caught both to eventually get me up to 9th (again) in 39:11, but still perhaps a minute down at the end of what I know I can do.
We all got a medal and after a quick natter with a few buds it was off back down the road. Not a bad workout and happy to support a good cause. Results on the Berwick Harriers Website.

No comments: